888-312-7173 (Toll free)
David Nacht has tried over 2 dozen cases with his most recent victory in the spring of 2013 in federal court. His last civil jury award was in June 2012 in Muskegon County, Michigan in the case of Crosby v. Michigan Department of Corrections where he obtained a judgment of $390,000.
Mr. Nacht, the firm founder, holds degrees from Harvard College ('87) and The University of Michigan Law School ('92), where he served as an editor of the Law Review. Mr. Nacht is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating for lawyers by lawyers, has been named a "Million Dollar Advocate" and also has been named to the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 edition of Michigan Super Lawyers. Each year, no more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state receive this honor. Mr. Nacht is also AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Nacht served as a staff member to former U.S. Senator John Glenn on the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, where he organized committee hearings and assisted the Senator in negotiating the passage of multiple pieces of legislation.
Mr. Nacht founded the firm in January 1996 in Ann Arbor, after practicing law at Miller Canfield - Michigan's largest law firm. Nacht also clerked for a federal district judge, Hon. Stewart Newblatt, in the Eastern District of Michigan. He has served as faculty for the American Bar Association Health Law section and formerly chaired the Washtenaw County Bar Association Employment Law section.
Mr. Nacht has published articles on employment law, criminal law and a book chapter on ethics in government. He often speaks on legal issues, and has appeared on several occasions as a guest lecturer at the University of Michigan Law School and spoken to professional associations.
Nacht is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and is admitted to practice before federal district courts in Michigan, the Northern District of Ohio, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals and the US Supreme Court and numerous other Federal Courts. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, American Association for Justice, Michigan Bar Association, and the National and Michigan Employment Lawyers' Associations.
Nacht has an extensive background in public service and non-profit leadership. He previously held local elective office where among his accomplishments was reforming the pension and retiree health care system for township employees and ensuring fiscal soundness. He served for 10 years on the board of the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority, where he successfully expanded service to poorer neighborhoods, focused his attention on adequate service for the elderly and disabled, and was primarily responsible for initiating regional service to the airport and suburban communities. Nacht also played a leadership role in reforming the pension and retiree healthcare plan for AATA. Nacht has served on the board or otherwise played leadership roles in two organizations that serve homeless children and families in Washtenaw County: Ozone House and Alpha House.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Education Law
- Civil Rights
- Business Solutions
- Non-Compete Law
- Criminal Law
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1992
- Honors: With Honors
- Law Review: University of Michigan Law Review, Editor
- Harvard College, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- B.A. - 1987
- Honors: With Honors
- Lectured on Employment Law Issues and Technology, State Bar of Michigan, Intellectual Property Section, September 2016
- Guest Lecturer, University of Michigan Law School
- Guest Lecturer, University of Michigan College of Engineering: High Tech Entrepreneurship
Honors and Awards
- 2015 Top Lawyer's - dbusiness - Detroit's Premier Business Journal, Criminal Defense
- U. S. News - Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms, 2015
- Super Lawyer, 2011 - 2014
- AV Rated - Martindale Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Faculty
- Washtenaw County Bar Association, Employment Law Section, Former Chair
- Ann Arbor Transportation Authority, Board, 2003 - 2013
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Michigan Bar Association, Member
- National Employment Lawyers' Association, Member
- Michigan Employment Lawyers' Association, Member
- Ohio Employment Lawyers Association , Member
- Ohio Association For Justice , Member
- Ohio State Bar Association , Member
Past Employment Positions
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, P.L.C.
- Retired Federal District Judge, Stewart Newblatt, Eastern District of Michigan, Law Clerk, Clerk
- Former U.S. Senator John Glenn, Senate Governmental Affairs Committee, Staff Member