Good Judgment. Wise Counsel. Aggressive Representation.
- Employment and Labor Law
Nick Roumel is a trial lawyer with over 30 years experience in state and federal courts. He began his career at the Free Legal Aid Clinic in Detroit, helping victims of domestic violence. From there he served the legal needs of Detroit's indigent population at Wayne County Neighborhood Legal Services, until 1989 when he moved to University of Michigan Student Legal Services for 14 years. Since then he has been exclusively in private practice.
Presently Mr. Roumel focuses on plaintiff's employment and civil rights litigation, as well as educational law matters, such as Title IX sex harassment, assault, and retaliation. He is also uniquely suited to represent students in education disputes, drawing on his experience with Student Legal Services and his service on the Ann Arbor School Board from 1994-2000. A former UAW member, Mr. Roumel also heads his firm's union-side practice, representing trades workers to professional educators.
Mr. Roumel has represented numerous high profile athletes and artists; victims of domestic and sexual violence; and students expelled for exercising constitutional rights. He has been appointed for various matters by courts, to act as a receiver for a corporation, and to mediate other cases. Mr. Roumel has also successfully represented criminal defendants for over 20 years, with an excellent record of obtaining favorable verdicts and dismissals.
Mr. Roumel also has an active appellate practice, winning reversals in matters as diverse as pregnancy discrimination, unemployment compensation, the application of discrimination laws to religious schools, FMLA, False Claims Act retaliation, and the landlord-tenant security deposit act.
Mr. Roumel has published and presented on matters as diverse as the immigration consequences of criminal convictions, disclosure and consequences of criminal records, and educational matters such as bullying, Title IX and teen suicide. He has been quoted, and his cases featured, in local media, Newsweek, the Economist, and ESPN, among others.
Mr. Roumel practices throughout Michigan, staffing the Traverse City office on occasion, and even practicing in the Upper Peninsula. He is also licensed in his home state of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Roumel is an avid cook, authoring "May it Please the Palate" for the Legal News throughout Michigan, and has written regularly for Michigan sports blog MGoBlog as "Counterpunt."
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. - 1984
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- B.A. - 1978
- Attorney, Wayne County Neighborhood Legal Services, serving the indigent population of Detroit in a high-volume federally funded legal aid program, 1985 to 1989
- Senior Attorney, University of Michigan's Student Legal Services, 1989 to 2003
- Partner, Fett, Roumel, & Fields, 2003 to 2004
- Private Practice, Law Office of Nicholas Roumel (& Associates), 1989 to 2010
- "Immigration Consequences of Criminal Proceedings"
- "Think Your Client's Protected By That H.Y.T.A. Plea" Think Again."
- 'How-To? Adult Expungement Kit
- 'How-To? Juvenile Expungement Kit
- "Does An Employee Have A Retaliation Claim Based On Protected Activity Of A Third Party?"
- "Michigan Public School Teachers Coping With Tenure Reform"
- "Asking For Facebook And Other Social Media Passwords In A Job Application"
- “When can Anonymous Internet Posters be Identified and Held Liable?”
- Michigan Association for Justice, Labor and Employment Section
- Washtenaw Association for Justice
- Washtenaw County Bar Association, Chair, Labor and Employment Section
- American Civil Liberties Union, Lawyer's Committee Co-Chair
- Washtenaw County Bar Association , Former Member of Board of Directors
- National Employment Law Association
Current Employment Position
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- Michigan “Super Lawyer” in employment law (top 5% of practitioners)
- Mr. Roumel has won over 40 trials, including nearly 20 jury trials, with a high verdict of $550,000 (Abdullah v. UPS)
- Hurtt v. ISI, 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, 2015
- Gholston v. Wayne County Airport Authority, 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, 2014
- Latowski v. Northwoods, 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, 2013
- Hovanesian v. Nam, Michigan Court of Appeals, Michigan Court of Appeals, 1995
- Grant v. Detroit Association of Women’s Clubs, Michigan Supreme Court, 1993
- Clarke v. North Detroit General Hospital, Michigan Supreme Court, 1991