Tap a question below to reveal the answer.
I did not do anything wrong. Why should I hire an attorney?
Even if you did absolutely nothing wrong, you need an adviser to be with you at every stage of the process to ensure that you put your best foot forward and that your rights are protected. When you are under investigation, your inclination is to be forthcoming and provide as much information as possible to defend yourself. Our team works with you to ensure that the information you provide is helpful and truthful. Not all information is relevant and you could end up providing evidence that works against you. Do not go through the process alone, your reputation and career are at stake. Innocent people are found “responsible” way too often.
What happens if I don’t receive an interview, file or hearing? What if I have not been advised of the process or what I am accused of?
How can your lawyers help me in a sexual assault, harassment or discrimination investigation?
Our team can help you at any stage. As an education, employment and criminal law firm, we can handle any problem that may come your way.
We can help:
- Prepare you for an interview
- Collect evidence and witnesses
- Assist you in drafting responses to evidence files, investigation reports, and drafting responses to question
- Prepare you for a hearing
- Ask questions on your behalf at a hearing
- Assist you in crafting an opening and closing statement for a hearing
- Assist you in an appeal of a determination if it does not go your way
- Assist you in defending a determination if the Complainant appeals
- If merited, communicate with the General Counsel’s Office and advocate on your behalf
- Advise you regarding implications for your academic or professional career
- Advise you of potential criminal implications
What can I expect in a Title IX or discrimination process?
If you have been accused of violating Title IX, you are likely wondering what to expect in the process. Each education program handles their investigations sexual violence or sex-based discrimination investigations differently; however, you can generally expect to be:
- Called for an interview (where you can have an advisor or lawyer present),
- Asked to provide witnesses or evidence,
- Receive a copy of an evidence file or investigation report that you can review and provide comments to,
- Potentially be asked to participate in disciplinary actions, where you will be asked questions about the incident by a Hearing Officer or Hearing Panel.
What is the advantage of having a Title IX Attorney defense for an investigation?
If you hire our team to help you with your Title IX issue, our primary and only concern is protecting your interests. University appointed advisers, friends, and trusted colleagues cannot protect your interests in the same way our team can. You can count on us to protect you, your academic career, and professional career. You can count on us to defend and advise you of any potential criminal implications of domestic violence, sexual assault or other offenses. Our team has worked with Title IX offices across the country and closely with Title IX offices across the state of Michigan. We know what it takes to succeed in an investigation, and our team can give you a distinct advantage.